Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Backmasking Assignment

1. "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin is said to have a hidden message of Satanic worship when played backwards. When listening to the song forwards and backwards, I do not believe that there are any true messages, intentional or unintentional, hidden within the lyrics. Any word with an "s" in it seems to always be interpreted to mean the word "Satan" when played backwards, which I think is completely ridiculous.
2. In Britney Spears's "Baby One More Time," the song played backwards supposedly says, "Sleep with me, I'm not too young." I do not believe this is intentional because this particular song was not written by Britney Spears, or even a woman for that matter. However, I do believe that the message is there. Even without the help of the lyrics telling me what it is supposed to say, I was able to hear the exact message very clearly.
3. In Weird Al's satire, "Nature Trail to Hell," there is a definite, intentional example of backmasking that can be clearly heard: "Satan eats Cheez Whiz." Weird Al is known for making fun of songs and celebrities, so I believe that this is on purpose to satirize the use of backmasking in songs.
4. In The Doors's "Break On Through," there is supposedly backmasking, however, I do not believe it is intentional or even there. The only way one would assume that it says anything is if they are told what it is supposed to say first.
5. In "I'm So Tired," I do not believe the Beatles used backmasking at all. Forwards and backwards, this particular part of the song sounds like nothing but gibberish.
6. "Another One Bites the Dust" does sound like it has backmasked lyrics, but only if the supposed lyrics are shown. Without reading the alleged lyrics, I had no idea what it said, but once I read them, I could make out the phrase.
7. In the Eagles's "Hotel California," there is another prime example of how a word with an "s" in it suddenly turns into "Satan." The word "say" in the original lyrics is said to be "Satan" in the backmasked lyrics. I think this is completely false and that the phrase that is supposedly there does not even exist.
8. In Pink Floyd's "Empty Spaces," I believe that there is definitely an example of backmasking. Playing the song forwards, there only appears to be indistinguishable sounds, which contributes to the idea that Pink Floyd did this intentionally. Clearly, when played backwards, it says, "Congratulations, you have found the hidden message."
9. The idea that the phrase "Turn me on, dead man" is hidden purposely in the Beatles's song "Revolution 9" is ridiculous to me. I do not hear it at all, and I don't see how "Number nine" suddenly becomes this longer phrase that doesn't actually make any sense anyway.
10. Michael Jackson's "Beat It" does not, in my opinion, have any backmasking hidden within it. I believe that the Satanic-worshipping phrase that is allegedly hidden in the line played backwards is merely made up from someone's imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment